This page will go through some basic custom content tutorials, and some parts will assume basic knowledge of computers and Photoshop or similar graphics programs.
Please do not contact me if:
- you want to learn how to use Photoshop. There are many tutorials online, and as well as it being hard to teach someone a program remotely, I also really don’t have the time. Please try googling these. I may have basic Photoshop tutorials in the future.
- you want to download a free copy of Photoshop. I do not support illegal downloading. If you want an illicit copy you’ll have to find it yourself and accept the risks.
- you can’t find a link to a download in a tutorial. The downloads are very clearly named and if the link is broken, you can definitely find it by googling it. You may let me know that the link is broken, but I am not going to look for it for you.
- you want me to make a tutorial for something like meshing. I do like to create tutorials but only once I have a level of skill that means I can teach others. For things like meshing, I am still learning and so would not be able to help you.
- you encountered a confusing error while following a tutorial. I’m not a CC wizard, so if you have a very niche error, chances are I have no idea how to fix it. So far, every time this has happened has been the result of somebody not following instructions, so please retry things yourself. If you still have a problem, try looking on the Sims4Studios forums or posting a thread.
Required programs for Custom Content creation:
- Sims4Studio. You need to make a free account to download it.
- Photoshop or a similar graphics editor.
- NVIDIA Texture Tools or some other DDS plugin for your graphics editor.
The different options in S4S explained (as of 18.104.22.168 Sugar):
- Clip Pack: make poses in a pack
- Override: make a pose that replaces an in-game or CAS animation
- Wall: recolour walls, requires no mesh
- Floor: recolour flooring, requires no mesh
- Terrain: recolour terrain, requires no mesh
- Roof: recolour rooves, requires no mesh
- Create CAS Standalone: add a new thumbnail in CAS, requires original mesh/EP
- Create 3D Mesh: add a new thumbnail in CAS, requires original mesh/EP, ability to export and import meshes, bump maps, and specular
- Add CAS Part Swatch: adds a new swatch to an existing thumbnail in CAS, requires original mesh/EP
- Override: replace an in-game or custom CAS item
- Standalone Recolour: add a new thumbnail in Buy Mode, requires original mesh/EP
- Create 3D Mesh: add a new thumbnail in Buy Mode, requires original mesh/EP, ability to export and import meshes, bump maps, and specular
- Override: replace an in-game or custom Buy Mode item
- Selective Clone: no idea tbh.
- How to recolour hair using actions (video)
- How to recolour paintings (video)
- How to recolour eyes (video)
How to make something base-game compatible:
- Open S4S and select Create 3D Mesh.
- Select the item you want to clone and create a file.
- Extract the mesh, textures, bump map, and specular (if there).
- Return to the main menu and select Create 3D Mesh.
- Select an item from the base game that is similar and clone that.
- Import the mesh, textures, bump map, and specular.
- Save and test.